Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A Call to Hillary Supporters

I woke up early this morning to red nail polish (the official color was "Madam President") drunkenly applied and a bad hang-over, induced by both alcohol and politics. Could it really be true that Donald Trump had won the presidency? Every sloshy cell in my body did not want to believe it. As if his temperament and treatment of minorities was not enough, his crass statements about sexual assault had brought up painful memories for myself and many other women. While Trump's taped words and attitude toward what he was saying had left me feeling shaky and weak, the subsequent out-pouring of words by other assault survivors emboldened me to speak out again about what had happened to me as a child, and in so doing, feel stronger and more empowered. Something good from something bad. It seems that life is not as binary, this or that, black or white, as one can be led to believe. Those concepts of winning and losing, all or nothing, are just that - concepts. We can decide to buy into this form of thinking or we can seek higher wisdom and know that all of life is a process, and that our voices will never be silenced as long as we choose to speak up. So on this day of mourning for our "loss" I want to ask all Hillary supporters to take to heart the words she spoke in her concession speech to "never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it!" Now I'm going to take two aspirin and a lot of water and try to figure out how to keep speaking out for so much of what we Hillary fans have been championing. For at least a little while I've got this red nail polish to remind me.

4 comments:

  1. well said - it's not black and white! Very inspiring at a time when we need to be inspired and hold together for what matters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely human you are! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Very well put. I was about to move to France until I heard her speech. And reading what you said helps me remember that we all need to fight for everyone and be the intelligent, nasty and caring women we are - stronger together and resilient. So here I stay USA! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are staying! We need all the strong capable women we can get!

    ReplyDelete